The Asian Art Commission shall consist of twenty-seven trustees appointed by the Mayor. In filling vacancies, the Mayor shall solicit nominations from the Commission and shall give due consideration to such nominees in filling such vacancies to the end that the members of the Commission shall be representative of the fields of Asian art and culture by reason of their knowledge, experience, education, training, interest or activity therein.
The Commission shall:
1. Develop and administer that museum which is known as the “Asian Art Museum of San Francisco,” or by such other title as may be chosen by not less than two-thirds of the members of the Commission;
2. Control and manage the City and County’s Asian art with the Avery Brundage Collection as its nucleus, consistent with the conditions applicable to the Brundage Collection and other gifts;
3. Maintain a charitable foundation or other legal entity for the purpose of developing the Asian Art Museum;
4. Promote, establish and develop an acquisition fund for Asian art objects; and
5. Collaborate with other groups and institutions to extend and deepen the activities necessary to establish the Asian Art Museum as the outstanding center of Asian art and culture in the western world.